April 15, 2008

Native Americans Hairstyles Of The Past


It would have been really cool if there were more pictures here. Oh well, I suppose you'd have to search for a bunch of different sites (So far, I have not been able to find a site that shows all of the Native American hairstyles) It would be nice to see more styles.

The Native Americans back in the 1800's had different hairstyles than today (braids and the long flowing hair are still popular). Some of the women's hairstyles are just amazing. I wonder how long it took to braid some of these styles. I was especially impressed with the Hopi Maiden's "squashblossom whorls" (image above). The explanation for this particular style is interesting. Only unmarried young women could wear it. The man's image is of a Crow chief with "braids and pompadour".

Native American Hairstyles
http://www.native-languages.org/hair.htm


1 comment:

Daphna said...

Hey Alena,

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your feedback.

Daphna