October 18, 2008

Life At The Greenwich Village

Here is an interesting article about the history of Greenwich Village, by the "Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation". The article is an edited excerpt from "The Encyclopedia of New York City" edited by Kenneth T. Jackson.

The second site, "Old & Sold Antique Digest" also has an article called "Greenwich Village - The History Of A City Square". It was originally published sometime in early 1900's.

Now if you haven't visited the Village, I strongly recommend that you visit it when you are in NYC. I have been there for a while and loved it. I enjoyed strolling on Bleeker street, and eating an ice cream. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the ice cream place. Drat! I only remember how expensive it was. But it was good though. Resting at the famous Washington Square park and watching the dogs playing at the park was relaxing. The Village is my favorite place in NYC. If you are a pasta addict like me, you'll find plenty of Italian restaurants at the west village. It was a pasta heaven for me! ;-) If you like Middle East food, you'll find the real thing right in the West Village. If you are an artist or bohemian, you'll probably enjoy East Village, and Soho and which is close to the Village.

There are no pictures of the village which really surprised me. Maybe next time that I'll post about the Village, I'll post one with a gallery. ;-)

Thank you, Cathy for sending me the links.

Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation
http://www.gvshp.org/history.htm

Old & Sold Antique Digest
http://www.oldandsold.com/articles13/greenwich-village-1.shtml

No comments: